Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Music of Games

Really, how could games ever set atmosphere without the music. Yeah Silent Hill is creepy, but it wouldn't be nearly as creepy without the bone grating music at every corner. The best games use music to set the tone like a Hollywood block buster. Square Enix is pretty famous for this, in and out of Final Fantasy. Some of the more recent Final Fantasy games included some J-pop, which really doesn't sync with the FF setting. I wonder if any readers know the game "The World Ends With You" Square made for the DS? That was an RPG set in the fashion district of downtown Tokyo. That whole games sound track was J-pop, pop, and Rap. I'm not really a fan of any of those genres, but man did it ever fit the setting.

Then you have the game music that transcends atmosphere and becomes an icon in of itself. Green Hill Zone, Mario theme, Legend of Zelda, Tetris (my favorite was theme C, but no one remembers that one). Still Alive from Portal almost topped them all to become a pop culture phenomenon.

So the point of that whole lead up is that the Turret Opera at the end of Portal 2 is the most amazing piece of gaming music. Ellen McClain, the voice actress for Glados and the turrets, is a professionally trained opera singer and really got to show her stuff for this piece. The following video doesn't contain any major spoilers, but it does come at the end of the game so watching it may sully some of the impact of a first play through. All I can say is it almost made me cry.

COG: Animal Crossing: Wild World
Well, I got the next house upgrade and now have three floors. My next mortgage costs 598,000 Bells (!!!!). My palm trees are growing (phew) so I should start catching some rarer bugs soon. Still working on getting the golden watering can. Redd visited town today and sold me a counterfeit painting. I have insurance, but thats also a scam. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment