Saturday, June 11, 2011

Emulation

I have emulators for a lot of old video game systems. Having no older siblings or gaming parents, the first game system I got was a gameboy and my first console was a playstation, which I got when I was 9. I am not like my friends who owned SNES or maybe inherited an NES. So for me, the emulators are a way of experiencing what many consider the golden age of games. I had not played Metroid, or Super Mario World, or Zelda, or Punch-Out. Now I have and feel much better as a gamer. Sure my friends who actually have the systems will sneer (one hates the fact that I beat Battletoads), but its really the only reasonable option left to me (screw ebay).

But emulators lead to a interesting problem. If you only use emulators for old games like me, its really kinda weird to have your games tied to your computer. Sure, in its day Harvest Moon was new technology, but now its not even half the power of a DS. So I often find myself wishing I could take my emulators on the go in a more portable format. For reference, my main computer is a 9 pound laptop which is a bit of a pain to drag around, but a lot of people use desktops that don't move. So, this product recently came to my attention.
This little baby is an emulator player. You download your emulator games on it and take them with you. Offered by thinkgeek.com. http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd6f/
But this leads into an interesting question. This wonderful little gizmo will set you back $120. Emulators are basically free programs and games. Is it really worth any money to take them with you when you can already play them for free? And since I have a laptop, my emulators already somewhat portable. So between this and a 3DS, I will probably get the 3DS.

COG: Animal Crossing: Wild World
The cat Kit, moved out, which kinda bummed me. I have looked up some FAQ, so I am ready for some serious Animal Crossing now. Wendal visited and I gave him a red turnip and he gave me a country guitar; turn that in this evening to get the K.K. Slider picture. The online guides are actually really helpful for a game like this. There is this Chrome app called "Read Later Fast" which saves web pages in some storage. Its actually quite nice for FAQs and anything else really since it can be accessed offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment