Monday, August 5, 2013

SPORTS GAMES!!!!! A Dreamcast Review

Well, its finally time. I have run out of easy reviews. Honestly, I kinda free-wheeled on all my previous dreamcast reviews. I had played plenty of the games when I got them, so I had little reason to go back and play them for the review; I knew how I felt about the games. Now, I am going to review that two sports games that came bundled with the console when I bought it: NFL 2K, and F355 Challenge.


1st game, the football game.
I am not a football guy, in any format. So I can't honestly say how this older title stacks up against modern football games. So let me just speak as a person who likes having fun. NFL 2K is a fun game.

It makes the process of playing football straight forward and easy. Each play is chosen from a turn wheel using the analog stick, with a helpful diagram giving a good idea of what the play is. Then you get to choose man arrangements in a bit more detail. Once the play starts, the four face buttons and triggers are used to choose who will get the ball, with the relevant players having helpful signs over their heads. Once the play is in motion, you control one context sensitive player.

It is very easy to just pick up and play, either alone or with a friend. But there is also plenty of depth here for the more hardcore players. All plays are customizable through the main menu. All plays have audible options. You can even shift where your line stands with the triggers. It all adds up to a fun AND deep game, for all types of players.

I can also give this game a lot of points for presentation. Though it isn't a fascinating menu, its functional and user friendly. It has plenty of game modes with all the usual types you would expect. It also has an interesting Championship mode where the game simulates all the games leading up to the championship and then lets you drop into the playoffs. The player models look good with nice weather effects and appropriate announcers who aren't at all distracting. Sure the stats may be outdated, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun.

Over all, I give this game a 6.5 out of 10. Its not a must own but if you have a dreamcast and want a football game for it, this is a good choice.
6.5/10

Next, the racing game
I'm gonna be straight with you. I do not like this game. At all. As a person who mainly races in Kart games, this is a weird game. I assume that it is a very faithful representation of Ferrari racing in terms of handling and the tracks, but that doesn't make it fun. I find this game to be extremely un-fun, for those exact reasons. Cars handle very slippery and the tracks require very careful management of your speed and turning radius. If you wish to have any success beating computer opponents, be prepared to work really hard at mastering the tracks.

If that type of game is your thing, I still wouldn't suggest this game. It doesn't provide much beyond the very accurate driving. It feels like a half-assed arcade port. The options are minimal, car customization is limited. You can't even switch to a third person perspective while driving. If super challenging racing games are your thing, don't even bother with this game. It may have been good in its day, but now its just unnecessary.

3/10

1 comment:

  1. Probably the most critical thing is always to decide on the right game how does someone buy. It is possible to search Madden Mobile Coins in Google, as nicely as essentially the most ranked sites are relatively secure. The website I visit frequently is EZMUT. EZMUT continues to become serving gamers for countless years. The game equipment sold is 100% protected and reliable, support services is also very enthusiastic, and after-sales service is perfect, old customers are certain to get more discounts.

    ReplyDelete